9.10.2014

DIY Growth Chart

I remember growing up, I had friends who used to measure themselves and mark it on a doorjam in their house. I always thought that was pretty cool. But because we moved quite a bit, it never made sense for us.

But, what better way to measure than on a HUGE ruler and create something that you can take where ever you go!


This is a super easy project and with just a few materials, you can make one too.

First, I purchased the vinyl decals from Little Acorns By Ro on Etsy. The included instructions are incredibly detailed and helpful. The instructions include different types of wood and stains as well as directions on applying the decals. Here's how I did mine...

I bought a 1x6x8 Hemlock board from Home Depot.


I lightly sanded the edges and stained it  with an oil-based, clear stain.

After it dried for 72 hours, I measured out my marks. The ruler is designed to hang 8" off the floor so starting at the bottom, mark at 4", 16", 28",  40", 52", 64" & 72".

Then, by lining up with the measurements, I applied the tick marks.


After the tick marks are complete, it's time for the numbers.


The decals are super simple to apply. Just stick, rub and peel. Easy peasy.


I added a prongy-hanger-thingy to the back and it's ready to hang!


It really is that simple. It only took me about 30 minutes to complete. The longest part of the project was waiting for the stain to dry.


I just love how it turned out! And a certain little kiddo was excited to try it out.


How do you keep track of your kids' growth?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That turned out beautiful, Brittany! Thanks so much for the link to our shop and enjoy watching your little ones grow!
All the best!